Pages

Sunday 24 April 2011

One hit One miss

Two return visits could not have been more different for me. The first was on the Fly, whilst my friends opted for the Soft Plastics again. I fished hard, fighting a south easterly breeze which was blowing from right to left forcing me to use the reverse cast, ( being right handed ). I tried a few different patterns, but to no avail. As darkness fell I switched to a large black number that I had tied up that day and continued to thrash the water. Alas I failed to muster a single bite. My friends however had managed to knock out a handful of small Schoolies and Pollock on the Plastics along with one better Bass of 3lb or so. I was quite disappointed at not having caught on the Fly, as a fish from this venue, on fly gear would be awsome.

The next night was supposed to be a 'night off'...but unable to help ourselves arrangements were made for 'one last tide'. ( It's so addictive this stuff ). It would be a late one too, getting there for sunset and the start of the flood.
A few missed hits from small Pollock gave us the confidence that our large Plastics would be taken by any Bass feeding on the Pollock. Darkness came fast but with a clear sky, we worked the water, each focusing on slightly different areas, working together to find the fish, we work like this a lot and then share the glory if and when we find them.
I was the first to find some fish, and missed the first bite, before connecting fully with my first fish.
The Bass, on feeling the hook tore off on a long run, peeling line from the spool and gaining twenty yards or more. We tussled for a few more moments and finally I was holding a fish of around two and a half pounds. The next two fish were a repeat of the first, with the added twist of them shaking themselves off the hook just as I was about to bring them to hand...they were both in the same size bracket as the first.
The last fish stayed on and was around a pound and a half. Then as abruptly as the action had started, it finished and all went quiet. We continued on for a while, trying different spots here and there, getting a few small hits from the Pollock that were fry feeding, but the Bass seemed to have done a disappearing act, but at least I had managed a few reasonable fish. My friends unfortunately were not so lucky and whatever it was I was doing, it was the right thing as they faied to catch despite us all using virtually the same rigs and lures. Probably I got lucky and found a small pocket of fish and managed to snatch a few before they moved on. Whatever it was I'll take it as you never know quite where and when the next fish will come from! 

No comments:

Post a Comment