Pages

Monday 29 March 2010

A new Beginning




2009 was a great year for me, for in April this year I began my Saltwater Fly Fishing Adventure!

I have been an angler for over 30 years, and I have sampled many different aspects of our sport, both Coarse and Sea. I have had many happy and exciting times whilst partaking in this wonderful and fulfilling pastime. I have made many friends, (and the odd enemy!), through Angling, and it has now become almost a way of life for me. I am introducing my children to the joys of Fishing now and i can see it having a beneficial influence on their whole outlook on life, as it has for me.


I've always been passionate about My Fishing, but a while ago circumstances dictated that a change was required, I had grown stale in my fishing and needed some new direction and new challenges. A seed of an idea began to form and then grow in my mind. I had always flirted with the idea of fishing for Bass on the Fly, I'd done a bit of spinning and caught Bass and Mackerel this way, but always felt that a more stealthy approach would be much more successfull and rewarding, often getting very close to my quarry but the tackle seemed too crude for the situation, resulting in refusals at times, when really they were sitting targets.


I began to research into the possibilities, and fortunately the wonder of the internet was able to provide me with all i needed to know and more.... the possibilities were about to become realities!


Living on an Island, (The Isle Of Wight), as I do, we are blessed with some fantastic coastal waters, and there are some huge rewards there for the Angler willing to put in some time and effort researching the vast and varied grounds that surround the Island. We have Rock marks, Estuaries, shallow sandy beaches, deep snaggy beaches. On one side we have the English channel, with some fantastic deep water shingle shorelines that produce numerous specimen fish of all species, and on the other side we have The Solent, that separates us from Mainland Britain, with its strong tidal waters squashed through the narrow channel, that during the summer is the scene of some epic Smoothhound and Bass sport to rival any venue in the country!


A view of one of My Favourite 'Back of the Wight' Bass Beaches.


Of course it's the sport to be had on the fly that is the focus of this Blog, but from time to time it will digress into other types of fishing as I progress through my Angling year. Unfortunately the Fly fishing season for Bass and other species is realistically only around 7-8 months and I can't not fish for 4-5 months of the year! I'd go mad!!

Through this Blog I hope to entertain the reader with witty tales of mine and my friends adventures in pursuit of our obsession, as well as relate some useful information regarding the tackle and tactics we employ along the way!



If your just beginning or thinking of getting into Saltwater fly fishing then be aware the learning curve is steep. There are many considerations surrounding this branch of the sport, from choosing the right lines, to Casting, learning to tie Flies, (if you are so inclined), locating suitable venues, to safety when wading, and much more. This is a sport not for the casual angler, it requires focus and dedication if you are to be able to put yourself on fish on a regular basis.
Hopefully this Blog will be useful to anyone with an interest in Saltwater Fly Fishing, whether beginner or seasoned angler looking for inspiration in their own Angling Adventures! I will certainly enjoy researching the material for it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment